Divorce can be a very challenging time.

Our goal is to assist you in protecting what matters most to you: Your family and your interests.

If we can do this through an uncontested, amicable divorce and your spouse’s lawyer, then we can help with the ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) process.  However, this is not always possible for every divorce and separation situation. If not, then we are willing to litigate your case to help resolve outstanding issues on your behalf.

The first step is booking an appointment so we can discuss your situation.


Married spouses who choose to end their marriage are legally entitled to a division of the property that they have accumulated jointly during the marriage. This process is known as the equalization of net family property. How property is divided

In B.C., the rules about the division of family property apply to both married couples and unmarried couples who have been living together in a marriage-like relationship for at least two years.
There are two categories of property:
●Family property
●Excluded property
When spouses separate, all family property is shared equally, unless the couple has an agreement that says something else. Family property is everything that you or your spouse owned separately or together on the date you separate. It does not matter whose name the family property is in.

Family property includes:
●The family home
●Bank accounts
●Insurance policies
●An interest in a business
●The amount of any increase in the value of excluded property since the relationship started
●Some things are not considered family property. They are excluded from the rule that the property must be divided equally.

Excluded property includes:
●Property one spouse owned before the relationship started
●Gifts and inheritances given to one spouse during the relationship
●Some kinds of damage awards, insurance proceeds and trust property
●But if the value of excluded property increased during the relationship, that increase in value is considered family property and is divided equally.

For example, suppose you owned a house worth $300, 000 when your spouse moved in. Together, you paid the mortgage, did renovations and the housing market went up. As a result, when you separated, the value of the house had increased to $500,000. You would keep the original $300,000 and you and your spouse would share the extra $200,000 of the increased equity. If a couple wishes to divide their property or debt differently, they can make an agreement.

Most of the time, excluded property cannot be divided at all. But in very limited cases, such as long interdependent relationships or where family property is located outside B.C. and cannot be easily divided, excluded property could be divided to make sure each spouse gets a fair outcome.

When property can be divided unequally
A court will divide family property or debt unequally only if it would be “significantly unfair” to divide it equally. This means that a court will not order an unequal division in most cases. The court can look at a number of factors when deciding whether to divide property or debt unequally.

As well, a couple can divide their property or debt unequally by making an agreement. Families are become increasingly mobile. More and more couples will have spent time outside British Columbia during their relationship, and have property outside B.C.

When a legal issue crosses borders, it is difficult to know where a claim for property division can or should be made (jurisdiction) and which province, state or country’s law governs the resolution of the dispute (choice of law).

The Family Law Act provides for rules in these cases. However, because these issues are complicated, we recommend that you get legal advice before you make any final decisions about these issues.