What Do I Need To Do?
Step 1: Establish whether under the purview of the law, you are deemed to be
- a reporting body which holds (b) an interest in land (see below the criteria used to determine these perquisites/factors).
Step 2: If you are considered to not be a reporting body that holds an interest in land, no further action is needed as the transparency report filing requirements do not apply to you.
If you are a reporting body that holds an interest in land, please complete the Intake Form below.
Step 3: Origin Law Group will prepare a draft transparency report for you to print, wet ink sign and return to us to submit for filing.
Criteria to Establish (a) a Reporting Body with (b) an Interest in Land?
- Who is considered a reporting body? – Almost all corporations, partnerships or trusts with an interest in land are deemed to be reporting bodies. Only those which come under Schedule 1 or 2 of the LOTA
(https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/19023#Schedule1) are excluded. If you are unsure whether you fall under the exemptions set out in Schedule 1 or 2 of the LOTA, contact us immediately.
- An interest in land is defined as:
- an estate in fee simple;
- a life estate in land;
- a registered lease that has a term of 10 years or more, including any rights of renewal;
- a right under an agreement for sale to
- occupy land, or
- require the transfer of an estate in fee simple.